Galentine's Day, celebrated on February 13th, is an unofficial holiday for women and their friends. A perfect occasion for a girls-only sleepover, the checklist includes pajamas, pillow, and blanket, an overnight bag, and a sleep mask. Activities like floral arranging, vision boards, board games, and spa night add to the fun. A sleep-friendly charcuterie board, a tea bar, and a TikTok-inspired sleepy girl mocktail make for delightful eats and drinks.
If you haven’t heard of Galentine’s Day, it’s essentially an unofficial holiday celebrated on February 13th (or anytime before Valentine’s Day) by women and their gals.
It’s a day filled with things like rom-coms, sweet treats, and fun activities that allow you to spend time with your girlfriends and celebrate your special friendship. Not to mention, It’s the perfect excuse to host a girls-onlyadult slumber partyfor all the nostalgic feels!
This year, I drove out toDallasto have an early Galentine’s Day celebration with my old college roommates.If you’d like to host your very own Galentine’s sleepover party, or you’re attending your first one and don’t know what to expect, here’s our ultimate checklist for a successful girls’ night in and an even better night’s sleep.
What you should bring to your sleepover
Is it even a sleepover if you don’t wearpajamas? Bring out the matching sets, the pinks and reds, and the fuzzy socks that’ll make you feel cute and cozy.
Pillow and blanket
While your host typically handles sleeping arrangements and bedding, bringing your favoriteblanketandpillowthat you know will help you get a good night’s sleep is totally acceptable. In fact, it’s recommended so you feel comfortable sleeping in a new environment!
Makeup, next-day outfit, toiletries—you know the drill!
Everyone has different sleep preferences, even your best friends! Some prefer sleeping with the light on while others don’t, so bring a
sleep mask Silk Eye Mask Blocks out light for restful sleep while protecting the delicate skin around the eyes
Blocks out light for restful sleep while protecting the delicate skin around the eyes
so you’re prepared.
Pack these items for your Galentine's Day sleepover
Sweater Knit Blanket
Wrap yourself in indulgent comfort with the weighty yet breathable softness of our sweater knit blanket. 100% long-staple cotton gets softer with every wash.
Down Alternative Pillow
Made from two types of hypoallergenic down alternative fibers, wrapped in 100% organic cotton. Soft, plush, and breathable for cool, comfortable sleep.
Silk Eye Mask
Drift into dreamland with our sleep-enhancing eye mask made of the finest quality mulberry silk. It keeps light out for more uninterrupted sleep—no matter where you are.
Activities you and the girls can do
Why wait for a gifted bouquet when you can make your own? Floral arranging takes some simple bouquets from the grocery store—along with tissue paper, ribbon, and a little imagination—and creates the cutest DIY party favor. It’s also pretty relaxing to do too!
While vision boards are typically made in the new year season, February is the perfect time to create one if you haven’t already. A vision board is a collage of words, pictures, and symbols that showcase your 2024 goals (whether that’s to stick to a fitness routine or get better sleep) and motivate you to achieve them throughout the year. Grab your old magazines and newspapers, a board, some gluesticks, and scissors to craft the vision board of your dreams!
Every sleepover needs some good ol’ board games and card games to bond and de-stress. My friend group’s go-tos are UNO, Taboo, For the Girls, and Incoherent.
Bring out the nail polish,face masks, andcandlesto relax, refresh, and recharge with your girls and get a good night’s rest. Nothing like getting some TLC in good company!
Create a “for the girls”music playlist
Every party needs music, and a Galentine’s Day playlist is the perfect way to allow everyone to listen to songs they like as well as bond over the songs you know. My friends and I made this R&B playlist to fill the evening with nostalgia!
Give Galentine’s Day cards
Tell the girlfriends in your life how much their friendship means to you with store-bought or DIY Galentine’s Day cards. (Warning: You might get some tears!)
Watch a movie or your favorite series
While this isn’t our go-to activity, we do love a goodBachelor(ette)episode or a Disney movie playing in the background to make the party vibe cozy and give the room that “lived-in” feel.
Adult friendships come with distance sometimes. I don’t live in the same city as my best friends and old college roomies anymore, and that can make it difficult to keep up with everything that goes on in our lives. That’s why life-update PowerPoints are the new thing as it’s the easiest (and fun) way to show everyone what they’ve missed.
Eats, treats, and drinks you must have
Sleep-friendly charcuterie board
Charcuterie boards are a must at any event, especially during a sleepover! Not only are they good for snacking on throughout the night, but they can also help you have a great slumber. Here’s what we’re putting on ourcharcuterie boardto satisfy our cravings and get a good night’s sleep:
- Candied walnuts, pistachios, tart cherries, grapes and strawberries (melatonin)
- Cheese cubes and vanilla yogurt (calcium)
- Salted cashews (magnesium)
- Dried apricots (potassium)
- Whole grain crackers and cheddar cheese slices (tryptophan)
Homemade vegan pizza and cauliflower wings
We know vegan pizza and cauliflower wings aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but the heart-shaped crust and red wing sauce bring all the G-Day vibes (and they’re so delicious too!). While any meal works for a Galentines evening, just ensure you watch out for excessivecheese, spicy, and carb-heavy foods!
Sleepy-time tea bar
Speaking of tea…set up ateabar with an array of drinks thattaste good, look good, and help you snooze even better. Examples of “cute and fun” teas with great sleep benefits include:
- Butterfly blue pea tea
- Lavender tea
- Chamomile tea
- Hibiscus tea
- Banana tea
Can’t forget the add-ons! Prepare bowls with cucumber slices, strawberry slices, mint leaves, rosemary leaves, lemon slices, edible flowers, and honey to “decorate” your tea for Galentine’s Day.
Sleepy girl mocktails
Mocktailsare all the rage lately—and for good reason! My friend group isn’t one for alcoholic drinks, so for our Galentine’s sleepover, we’re opting for sleepy girl mocktails that are fun to make and will help us catch some Zs. While the mocktail recipes are endless and so hard to choose from, why not try theTikTok sleepy girl mocktail? It contains tart cherry juice and magnesium to help you snooze.
Whileexcess sugar before bedisn’t recommended, a little sweet never hurt anybody! I mean, the heart-shaped and colorful pastries are what Galentine’s is all about. My friends and I mix it up every year by displaying new desserts (typically trendy ones off TikTok or Pinterest) and our fan favorites. Here’s what we’ll be making this year:
- Heart-shaped cream danishes
- Dark-chocolate covered strawberries
- Mini berry cheesecakes
- Red velvet white chocolate chip cookies
Bonus tip for throwing the ultimate Galentine’s Day sleepover
While every friend group is different and every Galentine’s sleepover party will vary, the most important things off our checklist are to have fun, enjoy each other’s company, and create unforgettable memories with your girlies. Happy Galentine’s Day, y’all!
Photos courtesy of Gricelda Torres
Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts
As an expert in the topic of Galentine's Day and sleepovers, I can provide you with valuable information and insights. I have extensive knowledge of the concepts and activities mentioned in this article. Let's dive into the details!
Galentine's Day is an unofficial holiday celebrated on February 13th by women and their friends. It's a special occasion to celebrate female friendships and spend quality time together. The day is filled with activities, treats, and fun, creating lasting memories. It's a great opportunity to show appreciation for the important women in your life.
Checklist for a Galentine's Day Sleepover
To ensure a successful and enjoyable Galentine's Day sleepover, here's a checklist of items and activities mentioned in the article:
- Pajamas: Wear comfortable and cute pajamas to enhance the cozy atmosphere of the sleepover.
- Pillow and blanket: Bring your favorite pillow and blanket to ensure a good night's sleep in a new environment.
- Overnight bag: Pack essentials like makeup, next-day outfit, and toiletries.
- Sleep mask: Consider bringing a sleep mask to accommodate different sleep preferences among your friends.
- Floral arranging: Engage in a fun and relaxing activity by creating your own floral arrangements using simple bouquets from the grocery store.
- Vision boards: Craft vision boards using old magazines, newspapers, and other materials to showcase your goals and aspirations for the year.
- Board games: Have a selection of board games and card games to bond and de-stress with your friends.
- Spa night: Pamper yourselves with nail polish, face masks, and candles for a relaxing and rejuvenating experience.
- "For the girls" music playlist: Create a playlist that includes everyone's favorite songs to set the mood and create a nostalgic atmosphere.
- Galentine's Day cards: Express your appreciation for your friends by giving them store-bought or DIY Galentine's Day cards.
- Movie or series: Watch a movie or your favorite series in the background to add to the cozy ambiance.
- Life-update PowerPoints: Share updates on your lives using fun and engaging PowerPoint presentations to bridge the distance between friends.
- Sleep-friendly charcuterie board: Prepare a charcuterie board with sleep-friendly snacks like candied walnuts, pistachios, tart cherries, grapes, strawberries, cheese cubes, vanilla yogurt, salted cashews, dried apricots, whole grain crackers, and cheddar cheese slices.
- Homemade vegan pizza and cauliflower wings: Consider making heart-shaped vegan pizza and cauliflower wings as a delicious and festive option for dinner.
- Sleepy-time tea bar: Set up a tea bar with various teas known for their sleep benefits, such as butterfly blue pea tea, lavender tea, chamomile tea, hibiscus tea, and banana tea. Provide add-ons like cucumber slices, strawberry slices, mint leaves, rosemary leaves, lemon slices, edible flowers, and honey.
- Sleepy girl mocktails: Try making TikTok-inspired sleepy girl mocktails using ingredients like tart cherry juice and magnesium to help promote sleep.
- Desserts: Indulge in heart-shaped and colorful pastries like cream danishes, dark-chocolate covered strawberries, mini berry cheesecakes, and red velvet white chocolate chip cookies.
Remember, the most important aspect of a Galentine's Day sleepover is to have fun, enjoy each other's company, and create unforgettable memories with your friends. Happy Galentine's Day!
Note: The information provided above is based on the concepts and activities mentioned in this article.